For a perfect breakfast after a creative morning
There’s gluten free bread, and then there’s bread that absolutely knocks your socks off, has you coming back for slice after slice, and that just happens to be free of gluten and other common allergens.
Georgie made this loaf for our morning tea after a pottery lesson at the local Byron School of Clay, and it was an absolute show-stopper. Moist and rich, with incredible depth of flavour from the spices and tea-soaked dates, this is a loaf of bread to impress even your die-hard wheat loving friends.
It toasts up beautifully, and eaten just like that, slathered in vegan butter from The Vegan Dairy, it was the perfect winter morning snack after getting our hands and minds busy working with clay.
This loaf is just about as full as it could possibly be with healthy and delicious ingredients. Bioactive & anti-inflammatory compounds in the spices, healthy and satisfying carbs from Buckwheat, and plant based Omega-3 in the Chia and Linseed.
Try it out and see if it doesn’t change your understanding of what gluten free bread can be.
Georgie's Luscious Date & Walnut Loaf
Gluten Free Bread
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Refined Sugar Free, Low Allergen, Vegan, and incredibly more-ish.
This walnut loaf is just about as full as it could possibly be with healthy and delicious ingredients. Bioactive & anti-inflammatory compounds in the spices, healthy and satisfying carbs from Buckwheat, and plant based Omega-3 in the Chia and Linseed.
It toasts up beautifully, and eaten just like that, slathered in vegan butter from The Vegan Dairy, it is the perfect winter morning snack.
- 300g dates pitted, unchopped
- + 150g dates pitted, roughly chopped (to add later)
- 2 cups activated walnuts
- 6 cups (1.5L) of Morning Glory black tea
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup resistant starch (Green banana flour)
- 4 tbsp mesquite powder
- 2 tbsp ginger powder
- 3 tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 3 pinches of salt
- 2 tsp bi carb soda
- 3 chia “eggs” (3tbsp chia seeds)
- 3 tbsp linseed meal
- 1/2 tbsp lemon/lime juice
- *Optional: grated thumb size knob of fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Boil at least 1.5L water in the kettle (extra if you’d like a cuppa too!) Make a pot of Morning Glory Tea – 3 tsp tea leaves per 1.5L or 6 cups. Brew for at least 5 mins, then pour over the 300g unchopped dates. Leave for 15 mins in a bowl.
- In a bowl, add 3bsp chia, 3 tbsp linseed meal to 1/3cup water. Leave for 15 mins. In another large mixing bowl, add all the flours, spices, salt and bi-carb (all dry ingredients). Stir together well.
- Pour the soaked dates and liquid into a blender/food processor and whizz for a few seconds until combined. Add the oil and lemon juice to the date liquid. Stir. Slowly add the liquid to the dry flours, stirring regularly.
- Add the chia and linseed. Add the 150g chopped dates and 2 cups of walnuts, mix together. Line a loaf tin with eco baking paper, and pour the mixture in.
- Bake in the oven for 90 minutes. After 90 mins, turn the oven off and leave in for half an hour.
This date and walnut loaf is AWESOME when toasted and slathered in vegan butter, with a sprinkle of ginger and cinnamon on top. Mmmm!